Founded in 2050, Smithtown is built out of the remnants of a once peaceful suburban community in Missouri. Mormons from all corners of Missouri slowly gathered there as war and disease killed off local leaders and forced people to move. By 2050, the ratio of men to women among the group had fallen to 1:10, but all had survived the strain and proven immune. After a week of prayerful meditation and discussion, it was decided that the prophesy strain was a sign from God, that it had been sent to purge the church of the unbelievers who had encouraged conformity to the corrupt ways of the larger American society. It was time to return to their roots, to go back to a more fundamentalist view of Mormonism. And so they established Smithtown.
All men over the age of 40 at the founding became members of the council. From them emerged a prophet whose guidance seemed inspired by God. Though the youngest of the council at barely 40, Jacob Walker possessed a profound charisma and intense piety that caused others to follow him.
• Fundamentalist Mormonism is practiced by all in Smithtown. Jacob Walker (now 105) is still running the council in Smithtown. The people claim his long life is a sign of God’s favor on his leadership.
• Every girl is sealed to a righteous Mormon man chosen by the prophet at age 16.
• Any boys who do not conform to the way things work are expelled to find their own way.
o Anyone who catches the prophecy strain is likewise expelled to suffer whatever consequences.
o Anyone expelled who attempts to return is shot on sight.
• Everybody does their part to grow and harvest food, maintain buildings, created needed textiles, and generally help the community to succeed.
• Outsiders are not welcome in Smithtown. Those who come to trade or ask for assistance while passing by are greeted by members of the council. Their purpose and threat level assessed, and then (if not a threat), allowed to trade or take refuge at the edge of the settlement. The women are kept away from all outsiders.
• The people of Smithtown keep to themselves and keep their heads down to avoid notice from those who would wish them harm or try to interfere with their way of life.
• The compound is surrounded by privacy fencing. The original settlers cannibalized the fences that separated the yards in the subdivision to create a barrier between themselves and the outside. It was been expanded and replaced many times over the years with new wood from nearby forests.
• It is rumored that, due to his longevity and continuation to marry, nearly 1/5 of the entire settlement is directly related to Jacob Walker.